Monday, November 2, 2015

Making Your Mark

Here's a guitar I crafted for a televised auction by PBS. My brand is clearly visible from the headstock, like on most traditional guitars. I utilize that same stylized "F" on all of my cigar box guitars. (Photo by Mark Feuerborn.)
Design is a key element in making a guitar. Any musician asked will say they want to play an instrument that not only sounds good, but also looks good to them. This is why the design and physical appeal of an instrument is important. What is also important in design is making the mark of the creator of the instrument. A common place that many leave their signature mark, or brand, is above the tuning pegs on the headstock.

This is a rather self-explanatory step, as your design for your brand is entirely up to you to create. Keep in mind that this is the part of the guitar that really exemplifies your personal flair. This post is aimed at merely explaining the best method for applying the design.

I typically use acrylic paint when I'm painting on my headstock, as this seems to apply well and dry quickly on the wood we have already spray-painted. Use delicate strokes with your paint brush, and keep a cutip nearby to use to rub out mistakes. Be careful, as it is very difficult to fully erase acrylic paint from this surface.

Other than taking appropriate steps to ensure proper application, the rest is up to the designer. Let your creativity show in your brand.

2 comments:

  1. I think that making original mark on the guitar is the most exciting thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Miyuki, plus it really makes the guitar your own.

    ReplyDelete